Saturday, August 7, 2010

Beach Towel

Maybe I should have titled it "Beachy Keen", whatever. Ok, I'm going to try to quickly cover what I've liked from the whole wave (no pun intended) of Surf Rock that has become ubiquitous over the last six months.

First up is Surfer Blood who I saw at the Replay Lounge in Lawrence. Great act, lots of energy and a stellar first LP. Floating Vibes is a great track off their debut album, Astro Coast.

A talented new surf pop band, The Drums, released their eponymous debut in June. My favorite cut is Let's Go Surfing. An absolutely infectious summer celebration.

Wavves followed up his self titled debut in August with King Of The Beach. It leaves a little to be desired but the title track, King of the Beach is pretty solid.

The newest entry to the Beach/Surf/Lo-Fi (ugggg) genre is L.A.'s Best Coast. After releasing a bunch of singles, split 7 inches, and EP's, Bethany Cosentino and company finally put out their much anticipated debut LP, Crazy For You. Two of my favorites are Boyfriend and Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment